WG Nanotherapeutics & Targeted delivery
All the applications of nanotechnology in order to get innovative therapies for unmet medical needs. The WG covers well established concepts like nanoformulation of Active Pharmaceutical Ingredients (APIs) and Controlled Drug Delivery, but also more innovative, frontier concepts like the interaction between nano enabled technologies and other therapeutic approaches like advanced therapies, active and passive targeting, nanotechnology for gene therapies, etc
I+D Manager en Praxis
Angel del Pozo
Register, IP and European Projects Manager.
Assistant Professor, Ph.D. at University of Modena and Reggio Emilia
Benefits and challenges of this working group
Nanotherapeutics are understood as nano-enabled therapies, i.e. those therapies which are based on, or supporte by nanotechnology and the special features of matter at the nanoscale. In this framework, it faces the basis of Nanomedicine, with the following benefits:
- Nanotechnology and nano scale phenomena help developing novel treatments for several diseases
- Protection and adequate, targeted delivery of APIs contribute to enhance efficacy and reduce side effects
- Optimized delivery of APIs reduces costs of expensive treatments, specially those based on biologicals
- Nanotechnology in Nanomedicine can contribute to enhance and optimize other therapies, like tissues engineering (nanoformulated additives, nanostructured biomaterials and scaffolds) and gene therapies (non viral vectors)
- Nano enabled medical devices can also have relevant properties as nanotherapeutics (externally activated therapies, like radiation or hyperthermia)
Any innovation will have to face several challenges, and nanotherapeutics are not an exception. These challenges include:
- Regulatory compliance: need of a clear regulatory pathway for nano enabled therapies
- Up scaled production with the right quality (cGMP, ISO)
- Nanosafety for processes, products and Work Force
- Social acceptance
- Clinical research specifically adapted to nanotherapeutics
- Specialized scientists and technicians for the design, scale up and production
Past realizations & accomplishments
During the last years the WG has increased the participation of the different WG members.
We have elaborated a map of capabilities at the EU level, including research and, in a second action, GMP/ISO scale up capabilities, contributing to the generation of common research efforts in the WG. We have also contributed to maintain and define the EU investments in research for nanotherapeutics (i.e. Strategic Research Agenda) and to the better understanding of the regulatory needs for nanotherapeutics.
Definition of new application fields for nanotherapeutics, in order to increase the scope of the WG and create more cooperation opportunities for the members, in collaboration with other WGs like Regenerative Medicine and WG nano-enabled Medical Devices
Regulatory acceptance is critical for the translation of nanotherapeutics to the clinical settings. We will contribute, together with other actions at the EU level, to include the view of the industry and the real challenges in the development of a scientific regulatory framework for nanotherapies
We will expand the WG, both geographically (international cooperation) and in terms of scope and members (more industries and SMEs)
Would you like to ...
enhance your network and cooperate with the cutting edge research groups and companies in nano-enabled therapies at the EU level?