Dear colleagues, dear ETPN members, Abzena have a vacancy for a Bioconjugation Scientist to join their Bioconjugation Chemistry team in Cambridge (UK) that might be of interest for you. In this lab-based role you will be working as part of a team on client-facing, often short-term projects from the outset, in a fast-paced and supportive environment. Please findd the job description below.
Abzena provides the most complete set of solutions in integrated early discovery to mid-phase biotherapeutic and ADC drug development services in the pharmaceutical industry. Working with a varied range of customers from academic groups, small biotech and big pharma and on a diverse range of drug types from antibodies, fusion proteins and bioconjugates, Abzena supports the development and manufacture of better treatments for patients. As a testimony of its outstanding expertise and quality of its services in bioconjugates early development, Abzena won the best CRO award at the World ADC Awards in 2020.
The Bioconjugation Group in Abzena Cambridge (UK) provides conjugation solutions to support partner antibody drug conjugate (ADC), oligonucleotide conjugate, PEGylation and other conjugate development programs. Using established conjugation chemistries and its next-generation conjugation platform ThioBridge® with access to a wide range of cargo’s, we design, synthesise and produce ADC candidates evaluated with support from the Design and Developability Groups for lead candidate selection.
Ideally, you will have a BSc or MSc in Chemistry/Protein Biochemistry or a related science discipline with strong laboratory skills and at least 2 years experience in an industrial environment, or PhD in a relevant discipline. Relevant skills required include an in-depth understanding of, and practical research experience with bioconjugation of small molecules (e.g. cytotoxic drugs, fluorescent labels, oligonucleotides) and polymers to antibodies and proteins using a range of linker chemistries, purification using automated systems (ÄKTA) and membrane ultrafiltration (TFF), and analytical characterisation techniques such as column chromatography (HIC, SEC, IEX), UV-Vis spectrophotometry, microfluidics (CE-SDS, iCEF) and LC-MS. As a confident IT user, you will be familiar with MS Office, and specialist software including Chromeleon, Unify, MassLynx and ChemDraw. You will have an understanding of the ADC field including the drug development process.
You will be able to work both independently and as part of a team, have good planning and organising skills. In addition, you will have a high level of attention to detail and be able to identify and analyse and resolve routine problems. You will demonstrate an ability to communicate clearly both orally and in writing, keeping team and management informed. You will contribute to the group development effort undertaking research.
In return, we can offer you a competitive salary and benefits package and a collaborative, varied and challenging environment where you will be encouraged to step outside your comfort zone and develop your career.
- To independently design and carry out routine and complex experiments as necessary
- To perform complex/novel techniques with supervision
- Perform routine interpretation of analytical results
- Keep accurate records and document experimental results in electronic lab notebooks
- To manage own work schedule to ensure tasks are met within the expected timeframe
- To analyse and interpret own data, and be responsible for the quality of own work
- Keep line manager and Group Director informed of work progress in a timely fashion
- To prepare data for and to contribute to the drafting of reports
- Prepare presentations and present results at internal meetings and client meetings
- To draft and contribute to Quality and Controlled documents
- Demonstrate excellent interpersonal and communication skills
- Proactive independent attitude with a positive nature
- A good team player with flexibility and willingness to adapt to change
- To undertake any other duties relevant to the position and level
How to apply?
More information on the job offer can be found here.