i3S is looking to recruit a Senior Researcher with an established international reputation in Molecular Bioengineering and strong expertise in securing, managing and leading collaborative research projects and teams/institutional units. This researcher, the ERA Chair holder, will foster a new research direction in terms of Translation in Molecular Bioengineering, focusing on Materials Engineering & Nanotechnology, and create a synergistic and cohesive research environment among key stakeholders in the Porto region.
- Applications until September 15th!
- Expected starting date: December 2021 / January 2022
- APPLICATION & INFO: https://bit.ly/3h5qbnW
- 5-year contract as Research Coordinator (equivalent to Full Professor);
- Autonomy to select their team members and budget to hire 4 additional researchers (1 Assistant Researcher, 2 Post-Doctoral Researchers and 1 Technician);
- Dedicated Project Manager;
- Laboratory space for the new ERA Chair research group;
- Seed funding (225k euros) to launch the group’s research activities;
- Allocated funds for meeting attendance and traveling;
- Access to state-of-the-art research facilities;
- Administrative support concerning housing, legal/immigration issues, spouse’s
- employment, kindergarten/schooling, etc
- Excellent scientific track-record demonstrated through the quality and relevance of their publications;
- 5-year experience, at least, as group leader and proven leadership abilities in the recruitment and supervision of a scientific team comprising high-achieving researchers;
- Motivational and teaching capabilities, demonstrated through their capacity to recruit talented postgraduate students and to participate in advanced training programs, namely at a doctoral level;
- Networking skills and ability to establish and maintain relevant international collaborations;
- Strong record in securing and managing competitive research funding to sustain their activities as group leader;
- Proven experience in managing research projects and participating in governing bodies.
The INEB/i3S opens an international tender procedure for the selection of 1 Group Leader/Senior Researcher in the scientific area of Molecular Bioengineering, focusing on Materials Engineering/Nanotechnology – The ERA Chair Holder (at the level of “Leading Researcher (R4)” as set out in the European Framework for Research Careers), within the scope of the project MOBILIsE: Molecular Bioengineering in health ERA (European Research Area) Chair, funded by the European Commission under the topic WIDESPREAD-06-2020 – ERA Chairs.
MORE INFORMATION HERE: https://bit.ly/3h5qbnW
1. Project summary and / or the tasks to be developed
The MOBILIsE project aims to boost the translation of the design of new molecular targets to the application of diagnostic tools and therapies targeted to the major health challenges, with particular focus on cancer, infection, neurodegenerative diseases, and tissue repair/regeneration, that are being explored at i3S.
The Research Coordinator (equivalent to Full Professor, the highest-level in the Portuguese research career path), shall have full freedom to make appropriate resource allocations as a leader of a new research group, to hire the members required for her/his research plan, and to apply for European and international funding. We are looking for an established researcher with international reputation that will foster a new research direction in terms of Translation in Molecular Bioengineering, focusing on Materials Engineering/Nanotechnology, and create a synergistic and cohesive research environment among key stakeholders (academy, research institutes, clinicians and industry) in the Porto region.
The ERA Chair team (to be selected by ERA Chair Holder) will include 4 additional Researchers (1 Assistant Researcher, 2 Post-doctoral researchers and 1 technician). Seed funding for the launch of the research activities and access to research facilities and lab space will be also provided. The contract with the ERA Chair holder will have a duration of 5 years, under the MOBILIsE project. Permanent position for the ERA Chair holder will be considered, based on evaluation of performance.
2. Applicable legislation
- Decree no. 57/2016, of August 29, amended by Law 57/2017 of July 19, which approves a regime for hiring doctorates aimed at stimulating scientific and technological employment in all areas of knowledge (RJEC).
- Labour Code, approved Law No. 7/2009, of February 12, in its current wording.
- Regulatory Decree no 11-A / 2017, of December 29.
3. The selection jury is the following:
- Chairman: Cristina Martins
- Member of the Board: Luigi Ambrosio
- Member of the Board: Jorg Vienken
- Substitute Member of the Board: Fernando Jorge Monteiro Substitute Member of the Board: Mário Barbosa
4. Workplace: INEB/i3S – Rua Alfredo Allen, 208, Porto.
5. The monthly wage is the one provided for in article 2 of Regulatory Decree no 11-A / 2017, of December 29, corresponding to the level of Research Coordinator of the Research Career Statute, approved by Decree 124/99, of April 20.
6. General requirements and specific criteria for admission to the selection are:
a) Holding a PhD in bioengineering, biomedical engineering, materials science, or equivalent for 5+ years;
b) Excellent scientific track record, demonstrated through the quality and relevance of her/his publications;
c) Leadership abilities to recruit and supervise a scientific team with high-quality researchers, demonstrated through at least five-year experience as group/team leader;
d) Capacity to recruit talented post-graduate students and participation in advanced training programs, namely at the doctoral level;
e) Networking skills, demonstrated through the scientific relevance of her/his international collaborations;
f) Track-record in obtaining competitive research funding to secure funding for her/his own activities as a group leader, show through a high level of fundraising;
g) Management expertise, as demonstrated through her/his leading role in managing research projects and participation in governing bodies and ability to translate research findings into solutions or devices.
7. The selection will be made through the evaluation of the following criteria:
a) Detailed CV (80%)
– quality and relevance of her/his publications (20%)
– Leadership abilities (10%)
– Capacity to recruit talented post-graduate students and participation in advanced training (10%)
– Networking skills (10%)
– Track-record in obtaining competitive research funding (20%)
– Management expertise (10%)
b) Declaration of interests indicating the motivation for the area of research where the application fits as well as a detailed description of the research project that intends to develop (10%)
8. A short-list of the top 5 candidates, following the criteria detailed in Section 7 will be drawn by the jury and applicants will be invited to an interview (10%) and a seminar.
9. The final classification system for candidates is expressed on a scale from 0 to 100. The jury deliberates by means of a nominal vote based on the selection criteria adopted and disclosed, with no abstentions.
Minutes of the jury meetings are drawn, containing a summary of what occurred, as well as the votes casted by each of the members and the respective reasons, being provided to the candidates whenever requested.
After completing the application of the selection criteria, the jury proceeds to draw up the ordered list of successful candidates with the respective classification.
10. The final decision of the jury is approved by the top manager of the institution, who is also responsible for deciding on hiring.
The application will consist of the following documents:
a) Detailed curriculum vitae, written in English taking into consideration the evaluation criteria defined in (7); page limit: 15 pages.
b) The five most important research papers.
c) A brief (2-pages) motivation statement.
d) The names of three referees.
e) 5-year research plan, including expected contribution to the Program Host Interaction and Response at INEB/i3S; page limit: 5 pages.
f) Copy of PhD certificate or diploma
Candidates formalize their application by filling in the requested fields and presenting the supporting documents, mandatorily in digital format (PDF format), until September 15th of 2021 at the link: https://bit.ly/3h5qbnW
The candidates who incorrectly formalize their application or the ones who do not prove the requirements are excluded from admission to this selection.
The jury has the power to require any candidate, in case of doubt, to present supporting documents for their statements. False statements made by candidates will be punished by law.
12. The list of admitted and excluded candidates as well as the final ranking list are published on the website of the INEB (www.ineb.up.pt) and the candidates will be notified by email.
13. After publication of the results, candidates have 10 working days to comment. Within the following 90 days of the submission of applications deadline, the final decisions of the jury are issued, to be published on the INEB, at www.ineb.up.pt.
Expected starting date: December 2021 / January 2022
14. Non-discrimination and equal access policy: The INEB/i3S actively promotes a policy of non-discrimination and equal access, so that no candidate can be privileged, benefited, harmed or deprived of any right or exempt from any duty due, namely , of ancestry, age, gender, sexual orientation, marital status, family situation, economic status, education, origin or social status, genetic heritage, reduced work capacity, disability, chronic illness, nationality, ethnic or race origin, territory of origin , language, religion, political or ideological beliefs and union membership.
The ERA Chair Holder will be recruited in an open, transparent and merit-based recruitment process, based on the guidelines of European Charter for Researchers and the Code of Conduct for their recruitment. The recruitment process will follow the general data protection and regulation guidelines – GDPR -, and will be in line with the Equal Opportunities standard in the evaluation of the applicants. This compliance will guarantee a fair evaluation and the non-discrimination of the applicants, independently from their gender, age, ethnic, national or social origin, religion, sexual orientation, language, disability, political opinion, social or economic condition.
15. Under the terms of D.L. no 29/2001, of February 3, the candidate with a disability has the right of preference in case of equal classification, which prevails over any other legal preference. Candidates must declare on the application form, under an honourable pledge, the respective degree of disability, the type of disability and the means of communication / expression to be used in the selection process, under the terms of the aforementioned diploma.