Ref.10.18.56 – Research Group Leader – Tenure Track Position
INL is opening a call for a Research Group Leader (RGL) to strengthen its research lines
- Research Centre: International Iberian Nanotechnology Laboratory – INL
- Number of vacancies: 1
- Duty Station: Braga, Portugal
- Career Stage: 10+ years of active research after PhD studies
- Open date for applications: 23rd October, 2018
- Closing Date for applications: 25th November – 23:00 (Lisbon Time)
The International Iberian Nanotechnology Laboratory – INL, located in Braga, Portugal, was founded under an international legal framework to perform interdisciplinary research and to deploy and articulate nanotechnology for the benefit of society. INL aims to become the world-wide hub for nanotechnology addressing society’s grand challenges with specific emphasis on Aging & Wellbeing, Mobility & Urbanisation and a Safe & Secure Society.
The work undertaken by our research centre will have a significant impact on people’s lives as well as notably contributing to the development of our society at large. INL recruits from all over the world and the objective of our recruitment process is to ensure that staff are employed on the basis of skills and requirements for the job and that there is a mutually beneficial relationship between INL’s expectations and the staff member’s personal and professional career development. We value the diversity and multiculturalism of our teams. Further, our family friendly working practices and benefits are a great asset and an essential element in cultivating an attractive and inspiring workplace.
INL is opening a Research Group Leader position to further expand the strategic growth of INL within the areas of Health, Food and Environment, ICT, and Renewable Energy.
The Research Group Leader will be responsible to establish a specific research field at INL, secure external funding, develop research and technology activities and seek engagement with the industrial sector as well as to deploy the research area knowledge and resources in projects, being both internal and external.
Applications in topics of strategic interest to INL such as Integrated Photonics, Advanced Packaging and 3D Integration, Aberration-corrected STEM combined with Cryo Microscopy, Applied Quantum Computing, Nanotoxicology with focus on micro-plastic, Brain – gut interaction are welcome.
Conditions for the appointment of Research Group Leaders
Appointment of Research Group Leaders should always be preceded by the validation of the following aspects:
- Equal opportunities and non-discrimination
- Excellence of the candidates
- Alignment with INL strategic planning
- Alignment with corporate and departmental needs
- Eligibility Conditions:
Candidates must meet the following conditions, as they are required by the nature of the duties the candidate will be required to perform:
- PhD Degree in a relevant field related with the areas mentioned above;
- 10+ years of active research after PhD studies. Candidates with an exceptional and international CV, butwith shorter research career will also be considered;
- International reputation based on research excellence in the field;
- Proven record in securing significant research funding / budgets / resources;
- Experience in group leadership and project coordination;
- Experience in strategic decisions, production of technical and scientific documentation and planning of projects;
- Proven record in publishing and presenting influential papers at an international level;
- Experience in workshop and conference organising committees and delivering invited talks;
- Outstanding international exposure that warrants a solid international network for collaboration in competitive European funding;
- Experience in technology transfer, innovation driven, to sustain a close collaboration with industry is evaluated positively
- Fluency in English is required
Duration of the contract
This is a tenure track position with initial appointment for 4 years. For candidates with an exceptional track record a tenured position may be granted. The expected starting date is January 2019.
Candidates must enclose the following supporting documents in pdf format, failing which the application will not be considered:
- (a) Cover letter in English;
- (b) Curriculum Vitae in English including the contact details of 3 references;
- (c) List of publications;
- (d) Statement on research interest for the next 4-6 years including the funding plan and synergies with current activities at INL;
- (e) Official transcripts of all relevant academic degrees.
The evaluation process will follow a three-stage process:
1. Candidate eligibility check
Only full applications will be considered. The applicant will be responsible for the data submission and validation. The application language is English.
Applications that do not meet the eligibility conditions will not be considered.
2. Assessment of the Research Experience of the Candidate
The selection of candidates shall be made by means of an assessment of the research experience within the framework of the Project, which shall focus on the relevance, quality and up-to-date of the following items:
- Scientific and Technological Production (‘STP’);
- Applied and Practice-based Research Activities (‘RA’);
- Activities related to the Dissemination of Knowledge (‘DK’);
- Activities related to the Management of Science, Technology and Innovation programmes (‘MSTI’)
The research experience will be assessed according to the following criteria:
- STP (65%): Academic Qualifications (AQ) – 10%; Research Quality (RQ) – 40%; Impact and Effectiveness(IE) – 15%;
- RA (15%): Research Coordination (RC) – 5%; Development, operation and maintenance of core facilities “instrumentation and/or equipment” (DOM) – 2%; organisation of conferences, symposia and scientific cooperation activities (OCSS) – 3 %; teaching activities “advanced courses or university” (TA) – 2%; research stays and internships (RSI) – 3%;
- DK (5%): Transfer to other areas of society (TS) – 3%; promotion of the public understanding of science (PPUS) – 2%;
- MSTI (5%): Development of Laboratory facilities, management of research groups (DFMG) – 3%; evaluation of STI activities (EA) – 2%.
This criteria will have a total valuation of 90%. The minimum threshold for this stage is 70%.
The top four ranked candidates will be shortlisted for interview, provided however that they pass the threshold mentioned above.
Interviews will be conducted through web conference or face-to-face meetings, as may be deemed appropriate. This criterion will have a total valuation of 10%.
The Selection Committee will draw up the minutes of the R&S process in which candidates will be ranked according to their evaluation scores.
Approval and formal offer:
The successful applicant will be offered the corresponding position.
How to apply:
The application is made online. Please click on the ‘Apply for this job’ button.
For the application to be valid, the candidate must complete all required sections of the online application form as well as submit all required documents.
What we offer:
- Tenure track position with initial appointment for 4 years. For candidates with an exceptional track record atenured position may be granted;
- Starting package for purchases of equipment and resources to hire two Staff Researchers;
- Social Security costs to be paid by INL;
- Work Accidents insurance costs to be paid by INL, to provide coverage for work accidents and invalidity benefits;
- Health insurance with excellent coverage;
- Tax Benefit: The personnel working at the International Iberian Nanotechnology Laboratory are exempt from national income taxes so the only deduction from their part of the salary will be 11 % for social security and 12% for an internal tax;
- A family allowance of 160€/month for staff members that are married or that are living under the status of “common-law couple” and/or have any dependent child;
- A child allowance of 200€/month for each dependent child;
- Free Nursery Service at INL campus (subject to availability);
- Support for Education fees of dependent children;
- Depending on the place of residence, INL covers 100% of travel expenses for all family members for relocation purposes.
INL offers an attractive financial package appropriate to an international research organization. Due to INL special legal status as intergovernmental organization, financial benefits are exempt for national income tax. Apart from the salary, INL may offer, depending on the personal situation, additional allowances and benefits for families and non-residents.
Applicable legal and regulatory framework, taking into consideration the international status of the Organisation:
The contract will be subject to the INL’s Staff Rules, as amended from time to time, as well as to all other relevant instructions issued by the Organisation. For this purpose, a copy of the Staff Rules shall be provided. The contract may also be supplemented by the terms and conditions of the Financing Contract between the Organisation and the FCT governing the implementation of the FCT Project.
Disputes between the Organisation and the Employed Member of the Personnel shall be settled in accordance with the INL´s Staff Rules.
Notification of results:
Each candidate notified via email of the result of their individual application. If the first candidate refuses the offer, the Human Resources will send an offer to the second candidate on the ranking, and so on until the vacancy is filled.
We highly value the interest shown from applicants wishing to become a part of the INL experience. It is important for us to maintain good communications with candidates. No matter the outcome of the application, we always send the applicant an answer.
Equal Opportunity and Non-Discrimination Principle:
INL promotes a non-discrimination and equal access policy, wherefore no candidate can be privileged, benefited, impaired or deprived of any rights whatsoever, or be exempt of any duties based on their ancestry, age, sex, sexual preference, marital status, family and economic conditions, instruction, origin or social conditions, genetic heritage, reduced work capacity, disability, chronic illness, nationality, ethnic origin or race, origin territory, language, religion, political or ideological convictions and union membership.
Applicants can receive support regarding applications to this positions via e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
This call is related to the Scientific Research and Technological Development Projects, which are cofunded by European Regional Development Fund (ERDF) and National Funds through the Foundation for Science and Technology (FCT)