Dear ETPN members, dear colleagues, SINTEF is looking for the Experienced Research Scientist within polymer chemistry and materials.
The Department of Biotechnology and Nanomedicine, Research Group Polymer Particles and Surface Chemistry, at SINTEF Industry is growing and is looking for a highly skilled and motivated experienced Research Scientist to join our team, with expertise and genuine interest in the field of polymer synthesis and modification for use within applied research in a broad range of markets.
The Department of Biotechnology and Nanomedicine consists of the Research groups Polymer Particles and Surface Chemistry, Mass Spectrometry, Medical Biotechnology, Industrial and Marine Biotechnology, and Sustainable Biotechnologies and Bioprospecting. We host national leading infrastructures for analytical chemistry, high throughput screening and bioprocess technology, along with state-of-the-art molecular biology and chemical synthesis labs, including a special lab for sterile work and work with drugs. With currently more than 95 employees, we perform more than 150 projects each year for industry and public funders in the frame of national and European research programmes. The Polymer Particles and Surface Chemistry group has a broad competence and exploits polymer, polymer particle, and surface modification technology towards a wide range of markets ranging from food, nanomedicine, medical technology, separation technology, to energy including batteries.
Research in our Department is carried out at our facilities at SINTEF Industry in Trondheim, Norway, closely integrated with other SINTEF groups and the Norwegian University of Science and Technology NTNU with which we closely collaborate in numerous research projects at the national and international level.
The Research Scientist is expected to work closely together with fellow researchers in our team but should also be capable of and interested in independently developing and implementing her/his own ideas and strategy on how to contribute to SINTEF’s ambitious goals of developing ‘Technology for a better society’ and further ensuring SINTEF as a leading R&D partner.
The candidate will be encouraged and expected to generate and lead research activities, ensuring sustainability and growth of our group; this could imply all research fields where the collective competence and unique analytical infrastructure of the Department can be used to enable science that will benefit society.
The eligible candidate should:
- Have a PhD in a suitable topic, which could for instance include one or several of the following: polymer synthesis, modification and functionalisation of synthetic- and biopolymers, organic synthesis, biodegradable polymers, emulsions, hydrogels, micro- and nanoencapsulation, colloid and interface science.
- Have skills and experience in efficiently publishing research results
- Have a proven track record and skills to acquire new R&D projects and industrial customers
- Have good written and oral communication skills in English
Personally, the candidate should:
- Be highly committed to applied science, strive for excellence
- Have documentable skills in development of projects (project proposals)
- Be able to work in a team and lead scientific and technical staff
- Be proactive and able to work effectively across multiple initiatives in parallel
- Embrace new challenges and seek to grow their professional competence base
- Be able to develop own smart ideas and think independently, be creative
- Be able to build and maintain personal networks with scientists and industry partners, nationally and internationally. It is beneficial for the applicant to have an established national and/or international network.
- Exciting tasks in an internationally recognized, dynamic and motivating working environment with friendly colleagues
- Great opportunities for professional and personal development in an organization that values responsibility and initiative
- Participation in innovative national and international projects in close collaboration with industry
- Extensive collaboration with national and international research and industry partners
- Competitive salary according to SINTEF’s salary system and a framework for professional and personal development within SINTEF, flexible working hours, child day care facilities, good pension and insurance schemes
For additional information, please contact Research manager Heidi Johnsen (Heidi.firstname.lastname@example.org).
How to apply:
The application should include the following:
- Cover letter
- A description of your research interests
- List of publications
- Names and contact details of references.
All materials should be provided in English. The application materials will not be returned.
SINTEF is the largest independent research organisation in Scandinavia. Over the last 60 years, we have created value and innovation through knowledge generation and development of technological solutions that are brought into practical use. Today, SINTEF is a broadly based, multidisciplinary research institute with international top-level expertise in technology, medicine and the social sciences, striving to implement our vision, ‘Technology for a better society’. SINTEF is non-profit, and all margin is re-invested into building state-of-the-art infrastructure and developing new research.
SINTEF Industry is the largest institute at SINTEF, performing contract research and delivering solutions and services that create value for our customers. With our cross-disciplinary knowledge base and advanced laboratories as a base, we develop – in close collaboration with our customers – technology and solutions within a broad range of research areas and industries.
SINTEF is an attractive workplace offering unique development opportunities for people with knowledge and enthusiasm. To fulfil our commitment to society we need capable employees from all parts of the world with a high level of professional skills and the ability to make a difference.