Laboratory for smart drug delivery technologies, School of Pharmacy, University College Cork, Ireland 2-3 Years, Fixed-Term, Full-time Post.
We are looking for exceptionally enthusiastic, creative, and driven Postdoctoral Researchers with a passion for interdisciplinary science and a desire to apply their unique talents to high-impact work aimed at improving human health, to join the laboratory of Dr. Piotr S. Kowalski at the School of Pharmacy at UCC. Dr. Kowalski’s research spans multiple disciplines and will allow candidates to develop their skills in a variety of areas, including RNA delivery, polymer synthesis, nanomaterials design, and gene therapy.
The current project is supported by a 5-year European Research Council (ERC) Starting Grant and focuses on elucidating the therapeutic potential of the new class of RNAs with a unique closed-loop structure, called circular RNAs, to tackle unmet medical challenges such as sepsis. This project aims to expand the toolbox of therapeutic RNAs and develop cutting-edge circular RNA tools to treat multiple organ failure during sepsis, which is responsible for 1 in 5 deaths worldwide. It will also develop novel polymers and nano-sized particles to deliver circular RNA-based drugs to relevant cells in the lungs and kidneys. Successful candidates will work in a cross-disciplinary research team and will interact closely with a group of collaborators supporting our work, comprised of RNA biologists, vascular biologists, immunologists, and clinical scientists.
Postdoc position 1
- The candidate will work on developing circular RNA tolls for the therapeutic regulation of gene and protein expression.
- Candidates with a Ph.D. degree in biochemistry, molecular and cell biology, biotechnology, synthetic biology, bioengineering, or a related field are highly encouraged to apply.
- Experience in one or more of the following areas will be desirable: RNA biology, analysis of RNA structure, analysis of nucleic acid and protein interactions, nucleic acid purification using chromatography, molecular cloning, bioinformatics, and animal work.
Postdoc position 2
- The candidate will work on developing novel biomaterials and nanocarriers for organ-selective delivery of circular RNA therapeutics.
- Candidates with a Ph.D. degree in polymer chemistry, organic chemistry, pharmaceutical sciences, chemical and biomedical engineering, or a related field are highly encouraged to apply.
- Experience in one or more of the following areas will be desirable: polymer/lipid synthesis, controlled radical polymerization, organic synthesis, soft materials, bioconjugation, drug delivery, nanoparticle formulation, and animal work.
Prospective candidates should have:
- Evidence of peer-reviewed publications in international scientific journals
- Prior practical laboratory experience and the capability to work independently
- Strong interpersonal skills and the ability to contribute in a multidisciplinary team setting
- Excellent oral/written communication skills
- Availability to start in September 2022 (will be an advantage but is not required)
About Dr. Piotr S. Kowalski (PI): I am a biochemist by training with a passion for interdisciplinary biomedical research and entrepreneurship. I have completed my scientific training in five different countries, including Poland (Jagiellonian University), the Netherlands (Groningen University), and USA (Massachusetts Institute of Technology). I have 12 years of mentoring, teaching, and leadership experience both in academic and industrial settings. My current work resulted in over twenty published research articles, the invention of four patents on drug delivery technologies, and the creation of a Cambridge-based biotech startup.
For more information about the PI please refer to: https://www.linkedin.com/in/piotr-kowalski-2715957b/ and http://research.ucc.ie/profiles/C019firstname.lastname@example.org
About the University College Cork: UCC is a leading Irish university with an international reputation in innovation, and entrepreneurship. It is ranked in the top 2% of universities worldwide based on the quality of its research outputs and peer esteem indicators and was the first University to be named The Sunday Times University of the Year for two consecutive years (2016 and 2017). UCC has a vibrant research community of almost 3,500 postgraduate students and over 250 postdoctoral researchers, across all the major academic disciplines. UCC has active postdoctoral associations and programs that aim to provide support for all aspects of a postdoc’s career, including professional development training and everyday work. UCC is the host and partner of leading Irish research centers, including APC Microbiome Ireland SFI Research Centre and Tyndall National Institute providing the access to state-of-the-art research expertise and core facilities. School of Pharmacy is ranked in the top 100 in the QS World Rankings by Subject in 2021 and is a part of the College of Medicine and Health, a very interactive environment with multidisciplinary academic teams providing plenty of opportunities to network with world-class scientists and clinicians.
- Post Duration: 2-3 years
- Salary: €39,522 – €46,906 p.a. (IUA Salary Scale)
For an information package including further details of the post see https://ore.ucc.ie/ (Job ID: 056511)
Informal inquiries can be made in confidence to Piotr Kowalski, PhD, School of Pharmacy, Email: email@example.com. Please include “Postdoc in circRNA therapeutics” in the subject line of your email.
How to Apply
Applications must be submitted online via the University College Cork vacancy portal (https://ore.ucc.ie/). Queries relating to the online application process should be referred to firstname.lastname@example.org, quoting the job-title and project name.
Please include in your application a CV, including contact details of at least two referees, and a cover letter. Please indicate in your motivation letter whether you are applying for Postdoctoral position 1, Postdoctoral position 2, or both posts.
Candidates should apply, in confidence, before 12 noon (Irish Local Time) on Thursday, June 30th, 2022.