The Department of Biotechnology and Nanomedicine, Research Group Mass Spectrometry, at SINTEF Industry in Trondheim is growing and is looking for a highly skilled and motivated Research Scientists to join our team, with expertise and genuine interest in developing the field of mRNA therapy, including synthetic mRNA vaccines.
The Department of Biotechnology and Nanomedicine consists of the three Research groups Mass Spectrometry, Biotechnology, and Polymer Particles and Surface Chemistry and hosts national leading infrastructures for analytical chemistry, high throughput screening and bioprocess technology, along with state-of-the-art molecular biology and chemical synthesis labs. With currently more than 70 staff, we perform each year more than 100 projects for industry and public funders in the frame of national and European research programmes.
To better exploit and expand our existing competences, infrastructure, and capacities in the broad spectrum of nanomedicine, life science and analytical chemistry, we want to expand our team. Specifically, the position will be part of a recently funded large strategic initiative in therapeutic mRNA. The main part of the work will be concerned with design, in vitro synthesis and purification, formulation and physicochemical characterization of mRNA therapeutics, including mRNA vaccines.
The employed scientist is expected to work closely together with fellow researchers in our team but should also be capable of independently developing and implementing own ideas and strategy on how to contribute to SINTEF’s ambitious goals of developing ‘Technology for a better society’ and further ensuring SINTEF as a leading R&D partner for nucleic acid therapeutics and their advanced characterization in Europe.
The eligible candidate should:
- Have a PhD in a suitable field, which could for instance include one or several of the following: Gene therapy; mRNA chemistry/biology; nanomedicine; nucleic acid pharmacology; synthetic nucleic-acid-based vaccines
- Have documented expertise with synthesis, analysis and delivery of mRNA
- Have a broad overview across relevant disciplines and topics like: DNA and RNA chemistry, biochemistry and biology; clinical applications of mRNA therapy; nucleic acid therapeutics, including RNA interference and protein replacement; CRISPR/Cas and other novel gene editing technologies; vaccinology; virology; analytical chemistry; preparative HPLC
- Have good written and oral communication skills in English
- Have skills and experience in efficiently publishing research results
- Have skills to acquire new R&D projects and industrial customers
Personally, the candidate should:
- Be highly committed to applied science
- Be able to work in a team and lead scientific and technical staff in a clear, inclusive and inspiring way
- Be quality conscious and strive for excellence
- Be able to develop own smart ideas and think independently, be creative
- Be able to build and maintain personal networks with scientists and industry partners, nationally and internationally
- Be motivated by and able to focus on solving tough scientific challenges
Skills, knowledge and interest in (one or) several of the following fields is highly desirable:
- Medical devices and materials for nucleic acid delivery
- Scale-up/GMP production of nucleic acid-based medicines
- Micro- and nanofluidics for synthesis, (nano)formulation and analysis
- Regulatory science in nucleic acid therapies and other complex medicinal products
- Immunology, immune therapy
- Molecular mass spectrometry and other advanced analytical chemistry
- Chemometrics, large-scale and high content data analysis
- High-end laboratory infrastructure and friendly colleagues
- Extensive collaboration with national and international research and industry partners
- Opportunity to work in a flexible research environment and to bring up own ideas
- Competitive salary according to SINTEF’s salary system and a framework for professional and personal development within SINTEF
The application should include the following:
- A cover letter
- A CV
- A description of your research interests
- A list of publications
- Names and contact details of references
All materials should be provided in English. The application materials will not be returned.
How to apply?
- To send your application online, please click here.
- Deadline for applications: August 31st, 2020.
SINTEF is an attractive workplace offering unique development opportunities for people with knowledge and enthusiasm. To fulfil our commitment to society we need capable employees from all parts of the world with a high level of professional skills and the ability to make a difference.